Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Andy's engaged

Monday Nov. 17th was the big day. Risa and I drove to Salt Lake to make sure "the ring" got there safe. Andy had it all set up. He and a group of his friends were going to the Jazz game with Kenzie's parents. They went to the Gateway mall first to eat and shop. Risa and I went to the Heimuli's house---Hema is key to the big event. (Hema is one of Andy's mission buddies. I've become good friends with his mom through our internet group of Ecuador missionary moms). So we all went to Gateway to see it unfold.
Hema, dressed as a poor street performer (ha), set up on a corner (the security guards kicked him out of the fountain area). He had texted friends and family to come and watch, so there was a small group of us gathered around to listen. Kenzie's parents came and there was David Mason (high school buddy going to school in SLC), also Andrew Keele (Andy's MTC comp and good friend). Risa and I covered our heads with hoodies so Kenzie wouldn't spot us.
As they all came, Keith (Kenzie's dad) said, "you guys have got to hear this guy, he is so good". We all stood around listening. Hema sang a song, then started on his love song. At the end, he sang "Kenzie, will you marry him?" And pointed to Andy. Pania, Hema's mom, held up a big sign, saying the same thing. Andy dropped to his knee, was handed the ring, and asked her to marry him. We all broke out cheering (there were some tears too, it was a neat moment. I didn't cry...I'm so happy for them).
Then someone yelled, "what did she say?" Andy said, "she said yes." And we all cheered again. After alot of hugs and pictures....the kids went to the game, everyone went home. Risa and I went to Heimuli's to get our car and we drove back to Kanab (10 hours of driving for a 30 min. event......sooooo worth it!)
Pania laughed later that she wondered if Kenzie thought it was weird that all these strange people had their cell phone cameras focused right on her during the whole song?!
So now the big date is May 16th at the Salt Lake temple.

3 comments:

Micheline said...

How neat and fun - and a lot of traveling. So - you are going to be a mother-in-law. Does that seem weird? (I think we have an engagement coming soon down this way too!)

Kassi said...

How fun! It is hard to have two families sometimes but so worth it! Tell Andy how excited I am for him!
I finally found you :) if you want to check out mine it is
colbykassileavitt.blogspot.com

The Stevens Family said...

Hey Rinda, this is Jenny! That is so exciting that they are finally engaged officially! Our blog is jdandjenny.blogspot.com but it's set to private. I will email you and invite you to our blog so you can read it.:)